Hyaluronic acid (HA) is, undoubtedly, one of the most popular skincare ingredients there is. It is found in everything, from serums to sheet masks. Maybe you have also tried out an HA serum or two. But do you know what it is? Well, if you don’t, this blog is for you.
What Is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a sugar that is naturally found in the human skin as well as the connective tissues in our body. It acts as a lubricant for the eyes, nerves, hair, and joints. It is also known for its anti-inflammatory property. But most importantly, it is a powerful moisturizer. It holds a thousand times its weight in water and helps keep our skin plump and hydrated. Much like collagen, however, the amount of HA in our body begins to decrease with age. Luckily, there are several ways in which you can stimulate its production.
Types Of Hyaluronic Acid
The purest form of hyaluronic acid has a short shelf-life, which is why scientists have developed multiple derivatives that last longer and provide better hydration.
If you look at the label on any HA skincare product, you might find one or more of the following versions:
- Hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid: This derivative of HA has small molecules that are able to penetrate the skin easily. The products containing hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid generally work on the surface level.
- Sodium hyaluronate: It is a salt form of hyaluronic acid with a much lower molecular weight, which allows it to penetrate the skin more deeply. Also, used in “dermal fillers,” sodium hyaluronate is known for its ability to smooth wrinkles and fine lines.
- Sodium acetylated hyaluronate: It is a type of sodium hyaluronate that lasts longer and is able to hold more moisture.
(The Sesha HA Advanced Serum contains both sodium hyaluronate and hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid.)
Benefits Of Hyaluronic Acid
One of the reasons why hyaluronic acid is so widely loved by the beauty industry is due to its ability to retain moisture and keep the skin hydrated.
Here are some of the ways in which it benefits your skin:
- It retains moisture, which results in hydrated skin.
- It reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by replenishing lost moisture.
- As mentioned earlier, it is also used in fillers. It is one of the safest fillers that does not cause any irritation. It can be used to add volume to lips and cheeks that tend to sag with age.
- Hyaluronic acid has a quick absorbing property, which means you can get away with using less product.
- It is safe for all skin types.
Sesha Skin Therapy offers a range of skincare products, including the Sesha HA Advanced Serum, which is specially formulated using sodium hyaluronate and hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid to improve barrier integrity by increasing moisture retention and improving lipid balance.
Browse through our online store to discover more such skincare products that are made using the revolutionary Permeation Enhancement Technology, which creates an advanced delivery system that allows ingredients to penetrate the regenerative layer of the epidermis.